Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Three Sons

Long ago there lived in Israel - it could also have been Egypt, as the tradition is not clear - a mother and her three sons. Her husband had a fatal accident several years ago at the construction site where he worked. As a single mother bringing up her three sons was a heavy burden.



On one day, at the hour of the full noon, she called her three sons to her.

"My beloved sons, I can not give you the life that I want for you, so I have decided that it's better for you to that you seek your own future. I want you to go into the world to find Wisdom, Strength and Beauty. Only when you have found these three things, may you return home."

Obedient as they were, the three inexperienced sons went out into the world, hoping to return home soon.



After three years, the first son returned home.

Before he was allowed into the house, his mother asked him:

"My dear son, what have you discovered on your journey?"

The son replied:

"Dear Mother, I have traveled around the world. I was taught knowledge by learned professors and I sat at the feet of wise masters. I learned that my world is subjective, an illusion, and that I am responsible for everything that happens to me and happens around me. I have learned that it is not only "as above, so below" but also "as within, so without." I know myself because I know that my happiness and the happiness of the people around me is up to me. I have found true happiness. "

His mother looked approvingly and said:

"Son, I am pleased with your answer. You've found Wisdom, but Strength and Beauty are still hidden from your eyes. Go back into the world and come back until you've found them. "

And so the first son went back into the world.




After five years, the second son returned home.

Before he was allowed into the house, his mother asked him:

"My dear son, what have you discovered on your journey?"

The son replied:
"Dear Mother, I have traveled around the world. I was taught knowledge by learned professors and I sat at the feet of wise masters. I know myself and I've learned that it is up to me. But I have also discovered something else that influences my life. Something that rises above me. I have named this power "God", but it's actually so big that its essence can not be captured in mortal words. This Divine Presence is so wonderful and great that I can not help but put my fate in Its hands in the hope that It knows what is best for me. I have found true happiness. "

The mother seemed pleased and said:
"Son, I am pleased with your answer. You have not only found Wisdom, but also Strength through the power of Faith by submitting to a Higher Power and trusting It. But you have not yet discovered Beauty. Go back into the world and come back until you've found it. "

And so, once again the second son went into the world.




After seven years, the third son came home.

Before he was allowed into the house, his mother asked him the question:

"My dear son, what have you discovered on your journey?

The son replied:

"Dear Mother, I have traveled around the world. I was taught knowledge by learned professors and I sat at the feet of wise masters. I know myself and I've learned that it is up to me. I also discovered something else that influences my life. I have named this Divine Presence "God". I submitted myself to God and put my trust in Him. I thought that I had found true happiness.

But after a while I began to doubt. I began to question how God was leading my life. And if He really existed at all. Eventually I rejected him. I fell into a deep depression because my contact with the Divine was gone. I wandered around from place to place in the hope that someone or something could restore my contact with the Divine again. I went back to the teachers, professors and masters, but no one could help me. I thought I had lost everything.

Until I looked deep inside my heart and found that the Divine was not something outside of me but that I am a part of it, perhaps even its origin. The Divine is both subjective and objective, and even bigger and more beautiful than I had always thought. I can now see the Divine in people and in all things around me. My eyes are opened after a long sleep. I finally know where I can find true happiness. "

His mother said:

"Son, I am pleased with your answer. Not only have you found the Wisdom of self-knowledge and the Strength of Faith in the Divine Presence, but you have also discovered the Beauty inside your heart. I'm glad I can take you into my arms again. Welcome home. "



And so - while the clock struck midnight - the widow hugged her returning son, and she knew that her task as a mother was complete.




And maybe you ask yourself what happened to the other two sons. Well, acccording to tradition, the first son married the Queen of Sheba and the second one became a carpenter and got a rebellious son.




The end

No comments: